Research teams are at the core of RoboAI, and they function as producers of new knowledge connected to automation, artificial intelligence, welfare technology and data analytics. The research teams consist of dozens of highly qualified experts in different fields and international fellow scientists.
RoboAI focuses on applied research and product and service development. The primary role of the research teams´ activities is the fast and concrete utilization of the results in the companies and communities of the region.
Automation research team – efficiency, savings and innovative solutions for industry
The activities of the Satakunta University of Applied Sciences automation research team are based on the applied research of automation technologies. The emphasis is on the quality assurance of products and production, enhancing production and developing the inner logistics of production faster and more cost-effective. The research team concentrates in all its work on boosting resource wisdom and developing the seamless and safe interaction between human and technology. The goal of the research team is to be a regionally, nationally and in a few years´ time internationally well-known expert in the field of automation.
The research team has been working together for years on joint projects and research and competence clusters and the members´ core competence areas include:
- Machine vision (traditional machine vision systems, smart camera systems, 3D imaging, infrared imaging, spectral imaging and lighting techniques)
- Intelligent robotics (intelligent industrial robots, collaborative robots, mobile robots, humanoid robots and educational robots)
- Production simulation
- 3D printing
- Embedded systems
In addition, we have competence in identification technology (RFID and NFC), sensoring, measuring and control systems and wireless systems.
The strengths of the research team include good connections to the industry in the region and nationally to other automation research and development teams of universities of applied sciences in particular. Versatile experience of industrial and welfare applications, agility to grasp new tasks even within a rapid schedule and perseverance to study several alternative technologies and find the most feasible solution for each case also belong to the strengths of the team.
The working methods of the automation research team include:
- Participatory product development and research
- Demonstrations of new technologies to the industry in the region
- Case-specific technology development and piloting in real environment
- International technology data transfer
- Integration of technology competence to the education of engineering students and thus recognizing new experts as team members as well as for the regional industry (theses, Robotics Academy student projects, students as expertise trainees in projects)
Tel. 044 710 3182
Wellbeing Enhancing Technology research team – individual and user-driven technology solutions promote welfare and health
The goal of the Satakunta Universitys of Applied Sciences wellbeing enhancing technology research team is to research and develop wellbeing and health promoting solutions by means of technology. The research team is a multidisciplinary team that concentrates especially on the promotion of the individuals´ welfare and health, not forgetting nursing. The focus of the research is on groups with limited functional capacity. The activities of the research team concentrate on the development of user-driven technology, service design and putting technology into practice as well as evaluating the efficiency of technology and services involving technology.
The core of the development work of the wellbeing enhancing technology research team is multidisciplinary cooperation and inclusion of users in the development work. From the technology competence perspective, the research team utilizes especially the RoboAI robotics, automation and artificial intelligence competence to meet the needs of health care and welfare field. In addition, core competence comprises mobile, virtual reality and game technology (serious games).
The research team has several years of experience in multidisciplinary research and development activities. The research team works as an interpreter between different fields and actors, as well as a user´s voice in the development work. Besides experts in technology, the team includes welfare and health care experts, business and service design professionals and international researcher members. The users of technology are at the centre of the development work and the research team cooperates actively with companies, the public sector and the third sector.
The working methods of the wellbeing enhancing technology research team include:
- Development and modification of technological solutions to different target groups
- Service design and putting technology into practice
- Evaluation of efficiency (health & welfare, quality of life, costs) and user and usability research
- Cross-disciplinary competence and data transfer
The research team works in close cooperation with Welfare Technology Master´s degree education.
Tel. 044 710 3171
Artificial intelligence research team – human and artificial intelligence for the industry and hospitals to utilize
The artificial intelligence research team of Satakunta University of Applied Sciences applies artificial intelligence, computational intelligence, optimization methods and data analytics to two types of problems in particular:
- problems that require (human) cognitive skills, high awareness and comprehension (e.g. decision-making, learning and pattern recognition)
- problems that are so complex that the (human) intelligence cannot rationally solve (e.g. medication interaction, packing of containers and work shift planning)
Problems are modelled both mathematically and data structurally, which enables utilization of the data being gathered in the organization when testing the models. The group competence includes especially
- advanced statistical methods and data analytics
- mathematical optimization
- machine learning
- deep learning
- advanced database and programming techniques
- cloud service understanding
The Artificial Intelligence research team works in close cooperation with customer interface and other RoboAI research teams to recognize development targets and implement solutions. Some examples of ongoing research projects:
- Medication risk management
- Utilizing clinical data lakes
- Intelligent purchasing processes
- Optimizing logistics
- Optimizing work shift structures and work shifts
Tel. 044 710 3148
Data analytics and Optimization research group of Tampere University – Data analytics for the needs of industry
The research group has versatile competence in the different sectors of data analytics and decades of experience in applying data analytics for the needs of science and industry. The functioning of the group is based on thorough competence in signal processing, time series analysis and statistical methods. In recent years the focus has moved particularly to development and application of machine learning systems, including Big Data structures and deep learning algorithms, e.g. convolution networks. The group is a part of Computing Sciences unit in Tampere University.
The group has experience especially in:
- industrial data analytics
- analysis and interpretation of remote sensing data
- health data analysis and processing of physiological signals
- image analysis and machine vision applications
- ROS environment of mobile robots
- agricultural data analytics
- environment and biosphere connected modelling
tel. 040 826 2860
tel. 040 8262819